Saturday, April 14, 2012

Prom with Daddy

Prom is JUST around the corner. It's in all sorts of advertising, and on many people's minds. In some ways it consumes people. Guys think about who they are gonna ask, how they are gonna ask that girl, if they are going to get a tux, and how they are going to pay for everything. Girls spend hours dreaming about their dress, hoping to get asked by that one guy, flipping through millions of magazines that tell them how to look absolutely wonderful, planning exactly how the night will go, and making sure that every detail is taken care of.
"Prom, it's like the Olympics of high school." -Disney's Prom
One night. It may be fun and memorable, but at the end of the day it's just one dance and then it's over. How can it become something we can remember?


This year, I'm going to enjoy prom with my Daddy. No, not my father whom I live with, but my Father in heaven: God. I am just a sophomore and therefore am not even old enough to attend my high school's prom. I will be helping out because I'm in student council, but the point is that I will still be dressed in the most beautiful of clothes and dancing.
Jeremiah 31:30 tells us how when the Lord is found "Then young women will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow."
I may not have a dance with the boy I like, but I will be dancing in the delight of the Lord. I may be bummed that he didn't ask me- but I will still be joyful because my Daddy is with me.
God is the King of Kings, and therefore I am His princess. In Psalm 45:13-14 it says how God dresses up his daughters, "All glorious is the princess within her chamber; her gown is interwoven with gold. In embroidered garments she is led to the king." And just before that in Psalm 45:11 it says how "The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your Lord." He dresses us in His righteousness, not because of anything we've done, but simply out of unconditional love.


I may not be going to our school's prom, but I will be dancing with my Daddy who thinks I'm beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment