Thursday, April 12, 2012

Who I am is not my relationship status

One of the things about my generation that blows my mind is how we determine a relationship's seriousness and sincerity by how it comes across on Facebook, especially via the infamous relationship status. If something isn't "FB official" we doubt the commitment level and whether the two people can handle having the world know.


In truth, some of us just don't think it's needed to post about our little lives constantly. If you want to know where I stand, ask me. I'm not condemning Facebook or using it to keep up with others. But I also don't think we should assume where anyone stands based off of posting online in any medium.


See, it goes like this. I'm not worth anything because of who I know, what I say, or what I do. That feels like pretty basic head-nodding material, but think about it. What you do and say means nothing if you do it for and by yourself. Essentially, I am worthless without Christ.


And in Him, I am worth everything.


Whether Facebook or anything else says I'm in a relationship or single, it doesn't matter. That doesn't make me worth anything more or less. Even if I AM dating someone, that still doesn't change my identity at it's purest and most raw level. I am loved and beautiful and freed and a dancing daughter of the King because He made me so, not because he made me so. If you catch my drift.


If not, let me break it down for you. God is the only one who gets say in my worth. If any boy (or girl) calls me beautiful or valued or sweet, they're certainly right, but not because they said it. Little he (boy and/or man) can certainly speak worth to me, but his approval or lack thereof doesn't change me one iota. Sorry, boys. Big He (Daddy/God) says I'm all that and more. He gets to say that, see, He kinda made me like that. Can't argue with how I'm made.


You tracking? If not, email me. I'm pretty sure my email is somewhere on this page...


My point is this: because I am everything in Christ, I am free to relate to people. If I run into people (boys particularly) and date or not, that's cool. I just am looking to share life. Whether or not we're dating or "FB official" or at whatever marker that says how committed we are doesn't really matter to me. As long as we're happy, we're just gonna go for it. The last thing I want to do is ever shape a relationship because of how I'll have to explain it or how people will think of it.


"In Christ alone, my hope is found."
May that be true in all our lives.


All my love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment